Saturday 27 February 2016

SENSITIVE ISSUES part 1

Assalamualaikum dear readers :)

So, what are we going to share with you guys this week? 

Well, today we are going to share our OWN experience regarding these three SENSITIVE situations. Guess what it is about by looking at the pictures below yeah! Jeng jeng jeng!...


STEREOTYPE


PREJUDICE


DISCRIMINATION
*credits to Google Images for the pictures*

Don't you think these 3 things are very confusing? People tend to think they're all the same, so we are here today to tell you how they differ from each other okay!

1. STEREOTYPE: a belief or idea of what a particular type of person or thing is like. It is                 often  UNFAIR and UNTRUE. (can be positive/negative)
Example: All Asians are good at Math.

2. PREJUDICE: DISLIKING someone because of affiliation with group.
Example: Muslims are terrorists.

3. DISCRIMINATION: UNFAIR treatment of DIFFERENT categories of people on the grounds of  RACE, GENDERAGE, etc.
Example: Some Americans won't let Muslims shop at their place.

I am sure that most of us have experienced being stereotyped and such right? Well, to be honest, I (Atirah) sometimes do that to people too, whether I realized it or not. For example, back then before I took ENCOM, I was always pissed off with people who prefer to speak English than using their own mother tongue. I value people who speak their mother tongue with their own people because for me, we all should be proud of our language. So, to me, those Malay people who speak English are just showing off!  (⇀‸↼‶) 

*please excuse my narrow- mindedness* But hey, that was back then! Well, I admit that sometimes I have a prejudice towards someone, and that is something that I am trying hard to get rid off!

Syuhaidah: Go, Atirah!


...and, unfortunately I was stereotyped too, and more unfortunately...by MY OWN FATHER (⊙_⊙) *hahahahahaha* 


Since I am taking communication, my father has a high expectation on me. For instance, whenever we got lost, I will be the one who needs to ask people around for directions...because I'm a communication student, and that I should apply my communication skills (¬_¬ ).

That is actually one of my greatest fears because I am often forgetful. So I'm afraid that if I'm the one asking for directions, I might forget the information and might give a wrong direction instead! Another stereotype that I often get is that people often think I am still a high schooler, because of my 'young' looks! *flips shawl* People will often ask me questions like "Which grade are you in?" or "Which school do you go to?". It is a positive stereotype though, so I do not mind about it much hehe! 


Well, that's my story. What's yours? Feel free to share your opinion or experience/s in the comment box!


Before we end, check out this video below via YouTube >>>







Yours truly,
Atirah & Syuhaidah

No comments:

Post a Comment